Thursday, June 5, 2008








I am submitting this post strictly to let those who watched the movie "The Business of Being Born" to leave their comments on what they thought about it so we can get a discussion going. Please only comment if you watched the whole movie. Thanks

1 comment:

breckster said...

I loved this doc!

I had wanted to go the natural route when I had my son, but due to high blood pressure and no sign of starting labor on my own I was induced. It was horrible! And the doctor I had (who was a horror story) came in at the exact times the doc said the most c-section happened trying to get me to agree to a c-section. When I asked him if it was medically necessary, or if me or my baby were in danger he simply replied, well, no, but you could have the baby in the next 10 minutes. I was on pit for 10 hours before I finally asked for the epidural, I reacted poorly and the contractions stopped, it was another 26 hours before I delivered. And then recovering from the epidural took a few weeks.

After having a miscarriage in New York, I lost all hope that I would be able to be in charge of my body and the delivery here. I'm not sold on the home birth idea, but a certain of the Nurse Midwife in the hospital approach, and terrified that I will be a high risk pregnancy. Having to deal with the NY hospital system again has me so scared that I am even considering putting off having another baby until we don't live here anymore.

I love that the documentarian spent her whole pregnancy researching and preparing for home birth, and then ending up in the 2 percent that need medical intervention. It was so well-rounded, and accessible to all child-bearing women.

Playlist